Are you searching for the best recumbent bikes for seniors?
Elderly people often struggle to exercise since they can’t get out and about as easily. However, recumbent bikes are a perfect way for them to stay active and healthy.
They are comfortable and support the spine and can be used indoors.
Take a look at our reviews below to learn more about what some of the best recumbent bikes for seniors have to offer.
- 1 What is Recumbent Bike?
- 2 Recumbent Bike Benefits for Seniors
- 3 Top 5 Best Recumbent Bikes for Seniors
- 4 Final Thoughts
What is Recumbent Bike?
Recumbent bikes are not the typical exercise bikes that you see in most gyms and homes. It is an exercise equipment wherein once seated, you are positioned in a reclining way.
Recumbent bikes are becoming quite popular especially among seniors who are figure and health conscious due to the design of the bike.
Apart from the ergonomic design, proper distribution of weight is one of the key features of these bikes. This type of exercising equipment is popular because of the comfort they offer when seating.
Recumbent Bike Benefits for Seniors
Following are the key recumbent bike benefits for seniors:
As compared to standard exercise bikes, recumbent bikes feature a more ergonomic design.
When riding a recumbent bike, you won’t have to hunch over onto the handlebars which is uncomfortable and can sometimes be painful. This is particularly true for seniors who have lower back problems.
The upright positioning of this bike relieves the pressure on the user’s wrists, hands, and neck muscles. This is because when riding the recumbent bike, your body is not forcing your weight onto areas that simply cannot support it.
Since you are placed in a reclined position when exercising on a recumbent bike, it is very comfortable.
Seniors particularly may face issues such as bottoms sourness when riding the traditional exercise bike even if it has a padded seat. With a recumbent bike, there are no such issues no matter how long you exercise.
Recumbent bikes are also ideal for overweight individuals as they distribute weight evenly.
As compared to the traditional upright bike, the recumbent bike is great for seniors who suffer from back or neck pain.
This is because your hands don’t have to support your back when you are riding this type of bike. So, there is no need to worry about injured wrists, hands, or fingers.
Furthermore, this low impact bike also reduces strain in your breathing because you don’t have to bend over. Apart from this, your blood circulation and flow also increase.
- Read More: Best Inversion Table for Sciatica
Recumbent bikes have a very particular shape. The base is long and it sits relatively lower to the ground as compared to a conventional exercise bike.
Furthermore, the recumbent bike has bucket seat rather than the usual ‘saddle’ style seat, so it is far more accommodating to the rider. Appropriate for both young and old, these bikes offer a great deal of stability to the body while providing the opportunity to improve or build upon your cardiac or fat burning regimen.
Last but not least, there is a low center of gravity which makes you more balanced and stable.
Recumbent bikes offer much more safety as compared to traditional exercise bikes because the seat is positioned lower to the ground.
So, if you accidentally take a tumble, you are not likely to get as hurt as you would on a conventional upright bike. This added safety is exactly what seniors need when using an exercise bike.
All in all, you get all the cardiovascular benefits that you get from a traditional exercise bike but with extra safety.
Top 5 Best Recumbent Bikes for Seniors
Exerpeutic 900XL Extended Capacity – Great for elderly
The 900XL model by Exerpeutic is equipped with an impressive flywheel. We noticed that it has been balanced very well to provide you with plenty of smooth resistance.
We also liked how the belt drive has been created with a V-shape. This works well to prevent any noise while you use it.
- To boost the smoothness and noise-free operation, a smooth torque mechanism has been built-in. This is a great way for elderly people to workout from home without disturbing people around them.
- There is a total of eight resistance levels. You simply use a dial to alter the resistance level to your liking. Twisting it one way decreases the resistance and twisting it the other increases it. We liked this simple design as it makes using the bike easy.
- In order to prevent the elderly from experiencing or aggravating any back pain, the backrest and seats have been padded. You can also adjust the height of the seat and backrest from anywhere between 5.3” and 6.6”. As a result, it’s comfortable for people of all heights and sizes.
- To ensure you get the most out of the workouts, there are leg stabilizers available. They keep your legs stable to ensure you can pedal with optimal intensity.
- The LCD display is large and very easy for the elderly to read. It provides you with all the information you need surrounding your workouts. This includes the calories burned, time, and distance.
- Elderly people have found it very easy to use as there are just three buttons needed to operate it.
Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike ME-709 – Best for the money
The Marcy ME-709 Recumbent Exercise Bike is one of the best options available if you’re on a budget.
- You’re able to choose from between eight varying resistance levels. Number one is the easiest and number eight is the most challenging.
- This range of resistance is fantastic as it gives you the option to choose the exact resistance that you want. As a result, you have complete control over the difficulty and intensity of your workouts.
- Altering between these resistance levels means that people of all experience levels can use the bike.
- We were impressed by how quiet this bike is while in operation. The main reason for the quietness is the magnetic resistance. This essentially means that it doesn’t need to work with any brakes that are mechanical.
- These are the parts that often need lubricating and create noise. Magnetic brakes ensure smooth and quiet pedaling. So, you can use it at any time and not disturb anyone.
- The seat and backrest have been cushioned with thickly padded materials. They make the bike feel very comfortable to use. Therefore, it’s a great choice if you’re looking to do longer workouts.
- There’s an LCD display available which users have been loving. It accurately keeps track of your workout statistics. This feature means you can easily see your progress to see areas for improvement.
- You can also feel safe while pedaling on this bike. They’ve incorporated straps on the pedals to ensure that your feet are prevented from slipping. This enables you to partake in intense exercise without any slippages.
We didn’t expect such an affordable bike to provide you with so many features!
Exerpeutic 400XL – Best for small space
Do you have a smaller space to workout in?
If so, you’ll be very interested to see what this Exerpeutic 400XL model has to offer.
For one, we liked how it comes with a total of eight resistance levels to choose from. This provides you with plenty of options to select the best resistance for your needs. You’re able to have control over the difficulty of your workouts.
Therefore, it’s an awesome choice, no matter whether you’ve used recumbent bikes before or not.
- They operate with a magnetic tension system. This means that they function with minimal noise. So, you can be sure to use this one in smaller areas without causing a disturbance.
- While pedaling, users have been pleased to find that it feels incredibly smooth. We found that this was a direct cause of the high torque system. It provides you with both a smooth and stable bike to pedal with intensity.
- One of the most notable features that users have been loving about this bike is how it can be folded down. This is a fantastic benefit for anyone who lives in a smaller home and wants to save some floor space.
- Once you’re done with it, you can simply fold it down to a more compact size and put it to one side. In fact, you could easily take it to another room for storage. The wheels that are equipped to the bottom of this bike allow you to do that effortlessly.
- To add to the flexibility features, you can adjust this bike anywhere from 5’2” to 6’2”. Therefore, it’s a great choice that’s comfortable for people of all heights.
Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike – Best High-end Choice
If you’re willing to expand your budget, you’ll find that this Schwinn 270 model comes with a ton of features that are a level up from the more affordable choices.
- For one, you have a total of 25 resistance levels to choose from. This is a vast number of options to choose from. As a result, you’re given plenty of control over how intense you want to make your workouts.
- With an eddy current braking system, you’ll be able to work out in silence. It ensures that minimal noise is produced while you pedal.
- Users have also been impressed by how comfortable this bike feels to ride. Schwinn has put in the extra effort to ensure that you remain completely comfortable while using this bike. They’ve done this by using padded materials in the seat.
- They have also ensured that the leg rests have an ergonomic design. As a result, they contour to the natural shape of your legs.
- We also found air vents are built-in to the backrest. They work effectively to keep you cool during intense workouts. To add to the cooling benefits, they’ve also implemented a fan. You can choose between three different levels for your preference.
- The LCD display has two separate screens which are backlit by a blue tint. They provide you with all the data you could need about your workouts. However, they also have Bluetooth and USB capabilities.
- This makes the connectivity of this bike excellent.
- You’re also able to select between 12 different workout programs. This is plenty to ensure you’re able to pick the one that suits your fitness goals the best.
Sunny Health & Fitness SF-B0418 – Best Mini Exercise Bike
If you’re looking for a small exercise bike that doesn’t take up any space, the SF-BO418 model by Sunny Health & fitness may be exactly what you’re after.
- It weighs a little over 20 lbs, which means you can be sure it will remain in place while you use it. To ensure it stays completely stable, there are rubber feet which work well on all surfaces.
- With a magnetic flywheel built-in, you’re able to workout using this mini bike without creating any noise. This is what makes this such a popular choice among people in office settings, at home, or even in care homes.
- It lets you exercise without disturbing anyone around you.
- Due to the very compact size, you can store it out of the way without any hassle. To make things even easier for you, they’ve incorporated a handle on the frame. This means you can simply carry it in and out of storage as you please.
- We liked how you can use this mini exercise bike by pedaling with either your feet or hands. They’ve made sure that the pedals feel comfortable for when you’re using your feet and hands.
- When pedaling with your feet, you’re able to use foot straps. They are made out of rubber and can be adjusted to suit your feet size. Users like how they work effectively to keep your feet stable while pedaling.
- With an LCD screen available, you’re given information about your workouts. This includes the calories burned, time, distance, and speed. This is very handy for keeping track of your workout progress to ensure you’re always progressing.
Now that you know more about what the five best recumbent bikes for seniors have to offer, you can be sure to pick the one that suits your needs the best.
User our review as a guide to help narrow down your search!